Who we are
Most people dream of being able to play a musical instrument. We develop outstanding products that enable anyone to achieve this dream. Our first product is flowkey: a revolutionary app for learning to play the piano. After our launch in 2015, flowkey quickly became one of the global leaders in its category, with more than 5 million users from over 100 countries. We are also one of the exceptions in the startup world, as we have been profitable from the beginning. This enabled us to go our own way and create a great culture.
Why join us
We believe that the best companies will help you live your life the way you want and become the person you want to be. Here is how we strive to do that:
- Flexible working hours: We only schedule a few fixed meetings every week—you're free to arrange the rest of your time in the way that best suits you.
- Remote work—and a beautiful office: We’ve found that it makes a difference whether we see each other in person or through a screen. That’s why we’ve put much love into designing our beautiful and spacious office in Berlin. At the same time, we deeply value freedom so we’ve set up our collaboration in a way that enables us to work from anywhere.
- Shared success: We distribute part of the company's annual profits among the whole team, on top of a competitive salary. This way everyone shares in our continuous business growth.
- Support for your growth: If you want to learn a new language, attend a conference, or pursue other self-development goals, we'll cover the costs—up to €2,500 per year.
- Love of music and a piano for your home: Whatever style of music you enjoy, you’re sure to find like-minded people among us. And you’ll get your own piano to play at home.
Your role and responsibilities
As a DevOps engineer at flowkey, you will support our Engineering and Data Insights teams by improving and ensuring reliability, availability, and scalability across our products. You will also be responsible for working with our team to establish efficient development, testing, and release workflows. You will be our first dedicated DevOps Engineer and as such will see your impact right from the start.
Among other tasks, you will work with our data and engineering teams to:
- Optimize deployment speed, reliability, alerting, and monitoring
- Ensure our servers, databases, and apps are fast and stable
- Ensure servers and other infrastructure are up to date
- Manage and secure a global cluster of MongoDB and PostgreSQL databases
- Ensure uptime of all of our app and internal infrastructure
- When time allows: Improve and expand the capabilities of our GraphQL server and backend systems.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a DevOps-focused role.
- Eagerness to work with an open-minded international team on improving the state of piano learning for millions of users around the world.
- Deep understanding of cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Alibaba Cloud), including serverless infrastructure, access control, security groups, and VPCs.
- Familiarity with containerized deployments (Kubernetes, Docker).
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code tech (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation).
- Proficiency in logging, monitoring, and alerting solutions (e.g. Datadog, Grafana).
- Strong knowledge of databases (MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis).
- Good written and verbal English communication skills and the ability to collaborate with different stakeholders.
- Eagerness to learn via a feedback culture and to share knowledge with the team.
- Nice to have: experience with CDNs, TLS, and network architecture.
>>> Click on Apply Now to be taken to the application page