Junior Mechanical Design Engineer
Based: High Wycombe
Term: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Negotiable + excellent benefits
Martin Audio is one of the brands within the Focusrite family. Focusrite plc is a listed audio products Group that develops software / hardware products for the music generation market.
Martin Audio enjoys an international reputation for supplying award winning, world class professional loudspeaker systems. It is renowned for integrity in design, technical excellence and longevity of product. Our mission is to create an exceptional sonic experience for the entire audience.
Martin Audio UK is situated in High Wycombe, with this site including Factory Production, Research & Development, Marketing, Sales, Service, Sourcing, and Central Functions (www.martin-audio.com).
General Position Summary:
- A degree-qualified Mechanical Design Engineer, with a minimum of 3 years in-role experience, is required to join a world class multi-disciplinary team of engineers, who develop advanced professional audio products. You will be proficient in a professional 3D CAD package such as Solidworks, Creo Parametric, Fusion 360 or similar, with PTC Creo Parametric (formally Pro/Engineer Wildfire) being preferred.
- Being a team player is critically important to this role. The candidate will also demonstrate a high level of competence and will have the ability to work independently on set tasks and drive them to completion.
Essential Functions and Major Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Mechanical Design Manager, you will be responsible for the mechanical design of loudspeakers and associated accessories.
- You will have a good understanding of Engineering principles and the ability to develop engineering solutions to design problems.
- Our products utilise a range of materials and processes so, it is likely you will be asked to design components for: welded fabrication, woodworking (usually CNC), sheet metal, extrusions, pressed metal parts, diecast and injection moulding.
- You may be required to attend concerts or installations, to gain experience of the use cases of our products.
- At times you will be required to visit suppliers or contract manufacturers. You may on occasion be asked to perform other related duties, for which your cooperation would be expected.
- You will also be assigned Change Management work alongside new product development projects.
- This is not a management role, the candidate will be expected to support those within the organization who may not have an engineering background
- The candidate will be able to conduct themselves in a highly professional manor and seek to achieve the highest possible standards
- You will be expected to interface on a daily basis with members of the Martin Audio R&D team, in order to collaborate on product development and to share ideas. You will also interface with the Operations department, the Marketing department and the Sales department. Additionally, you may be expected to interface with suppliers to define the product or service required of them. On occasion you will also be required to interface with customers, sometimes when unaccompanied and will be expected to act in a professional manner and in the company’s best interests.
- You will have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Design Engineering, or associated discipline. You will have a minimum of three years’ experience, in a mechanical design or product development position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- You will have the ability to problem solve and present solutions based on sound engineering principals.
- You will be proficient in a professional 3D CAD package such as Solidworks, Creo Parametric, Fusion 360 or similar, with PTC Creo Parametric (formally Pro/Engineer Wildfire) being preferred.
- You will be able to construct detailed 3D solid models of products and produce 2D drawings of component parts.
- You will have experience in design of injection moulded and sheet metal parts.
- You will have the ability to produce Engineering drawings for parts and assemblies, for manufacture and quality control. These will be fully detailed with the required dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Experience of using a PLM system with regards to document control and change management would be preferred.
- You will also be able to construct prototypes using basic machine tools. You will be able bodied and able to lift items in accordance with H&S regulations.
You are expected to work at the company head office in High Wycombe on a full time basis 37.5 hours per week, over the standard working hours of 8.45am to 5.30pm, Monday to Thursday and 8.45pm to 4pm on Friday. An hour is allowed for lunch Monday to Thursday and 45 minutes on Friday. On occasion you may be asked to work overtime, for which no remuneration will be given.
Comprehensive benefits package includes: Pension, Bike2work scheme, 25 days holiday increasing with length of service, staff discount on company products and merchandise, participation to our group bonus scheme. After successful probationary period; Life Assurance, Income protection, Health Cash Plan and Private Medical Insurance