Who we are
Most people dream of being able to play a musical instrument. We develop outstanding products that enable anyone to achieve this dream. Our first product is flowkey: a revolutionary app for learning to play the piano. After our launch in 2015 flowkey quickly became one of the global leaders in its category, with more than 5 million users from over 100 countries. We are also one of the exceptions in the startup world, as we have been profitable from the beginning. This enabled us to go our own way and create a great culture.
Why join us
We believe that the best companies will help you live your life the way you want and become the person you want to be. Here is how we strive to do that:
- Flexible working hours: We only schedule a few fixed meetings every week—you're free to arrange the rest of your time in the way that best suits you.
- Remote work—and a beautiful office: We’ve found that it makes a difference whether we see each other in person or through a screen. That’s why we’ve put much love into designing our beautiful and spacious office in Berlin. At the same time, we deeply value freedom so we’ve set up our collaboration in a way that enables us to work from anywhere.
- Shared success: We distribute part of the company's annual profits among the whole team, on top of a competitive salary. This way everyone shares in our continuous business growth.
- Support for your growth: If you want to learn a new language, attend a conference, or pursue other self-development goals, we'll cover the costs—up to €2,500 per year.
- Love of music and a piano for your home: Whatever style of music you enjoy, you’re sure to find like-minded people among us. And you’ll get your own piano to play at home.
Your role and responsibilities
With millions of user events we write every day, flowkey relies heavily on our BI infrastructure for product and growth decision making. As part of our Data Team you will be responsible for scaling and evolving this infrastructure, consisting of a self-hosted PostgreSQL/TimescaleDB DB cluster and an AWS ETL application. You will contribute to the end-to-end quality of our data and work closely with our application and backend devs on it.
You’ll also contribute to the efficiency of our SQL data models and you’ll generally have a broad career horizon in Database Engineering, ML and Analytics, DevOps and other fields.
Here’s a peak into some of your tasks, in no particular order:
- Maintain our self-hosted and AWS infrastructure
- Maintain our Kinesis event tracking system
- Maintain and develop our monitoring and alerting (using Datadog)
- Perform data migration operations on our raw events data
- Optimize PostgreSQL/TimescaleDB query performance
- Optimize MongoDB to PostgreSQL synchronization
- Track down and resolve data consistency issues
- Improve AWS deployment and monitoring
- Create new ETL integrations
- Proficiency in PostgreSQL, Python, Server Administration and AWS.
- Minimum 2 years experience in managing self-hosted server infrastructure.
- Strong attention to data quality. Excellent quality of your code and output.
- You are comfortable navigating around 3rd party APIs and documents.
Nice to have
- Experience with PostgreSQL extensions
- Experience with TimescaleDB
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with data visualization and BI tools (Grafana, Metabase, etc.)
- Experience deploying and maintaining ML tools
>>> Click on Apply Now to be taken to the application page