Position: Studio Manager & Executive Assistant
Location: London SE8
Salary £35–40K DOE
Closing date: 12th Aug 2022
Artist, curator, creative practitioner, and music producer Gideon Berger is founder of Gideon Berger Studio, a company established to deliver his solo work. Gideon is also co-founder, director, and musical curator of Block9. He is Homo-Centric Records label boss, project lead at R3 Soundsystem. In addition, he is a touring international DJ and is currently Guest Creative Director of Music for London Borough of Culture 2022.
The studio is recruiting an exceptional, highly skilled individual to work across all four projects falling under the umbrella of the studio.
1. Gideon Berger Studio - is the primary vehicle to enable delivery of Gideon’s creative practice. His self-initiated, commissioned and collaborative artistic work involves theatre, dance, music, technology, installation, and opera.
2. GIDEÖN - Working alongside Gideon’s booking agency in Berlin to manage and administer international DJ bookings
3. HOMO-CENTRIC RECORDS - Working alongside the label manager to administer label business and coordinate releases and events.
4. R3 Soundsystem – Helping to manage, coordinate, and administer this political campaigning and activism collective.
The role requires an agile, multitasking PA & Studio Manager with a passion for life in the fast lane. The role is based in the home office of the director in South London with frequent requirement to work on location, in transit, remotely from your home and at members clubs in central London. Work is often required outside of regular office hours. This exciting and diverse role supports the founder and freelance studio team and its collaborators.
The role will swiftly become a cornerstone of the studio operation and will suit a fast learner. Please note this is a position with strong growth potential for aspiring project managers and arts producers but it is not a route for budding creatives.
Responsibilities fall into two main categories:
A – Studio Manager: Running and administering a dynamic small creative studio, personally managing ad hoc in-house projects. Although the studio has independent accountants, all financial admin and upkeep will be managed by you.
B – Executive Assistant: Managing, supporting, and administering various aspects of the directors fast paced, highly demanding personal and professional schedule. Providing comprehensive operational support to the studio, the director, and the entities 3-4 listed above.
Joining as dual PA & Studio Manager you will utilise your superb organisation and administration skills to ensure a smooth-running office where no two days are the same. 50% of the time you will be a Executive Assistant to the Founder, covering everything from scheduling meetings, managing, and responding to emails, planning travel and proofreading documents to managing private household arrangements, paying bills, booking appointments. The other 50% of the time you will be managing the studio; this will entail all studio admin, and finance support. Ability, dedication, and ambition to make a long-term commitment to the studio is essential.
1. 2+ years’ experience running a small creative business or art/design/music studio or architecture practice/film production company/record label
2. Previous experience as a studio manager/assistant in an art related environment
3. Proven office experience with secretarial support at senior level
4. Able to demonstrate significant achievements in career-to-date
5. Working in a client facing role in an office environment, responsible complex diary management
6. Relevant experience as a PA or EA
7. Financial admin (to work alongside the GBS company accountant)
8. Some project or event planning and management experience including financial and logistical
1. Excellent management skills working within a high octane, fast-paced environment
2. Exemplary organisational, administrative and time management skills
3. Be educated to degree level or equivalent
4. Advanced IT skills (Mac based) and must include Excel, Word, PowerPoint/Keynote
5. Excellent administration skills and can provide a high level of executive support
6. Exceptional understanding of project scheduling and diary management
7. Adept at multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritise, work quickly and accurately to tight deadlines
8. Skilled in scheduling and budgeting stand-alone projects
9. Understanding and awareness of the sector, its aesthetic and culture
10. Basic understanding of Adobe Creative Suite (useful but not essential)
11. The ability to produce fast, accurate written work to a high level of presentation with a keen grasp of the English language.
12. Happy to work on a broad range of projects and tasks ranging from small scale daily tasks to confidently leading medium sized internal projects
13. Proactive, confident decision-maker who takes initiative by being able to identify problems, research and evaluate solutions both creatively and innovatively
14. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal confidently and positively with collaborators, clients, freelancers, and studio associates
15. Experienced at authoring and managing expense budgets
1. Executive diary management including the management of all travel and accommodation
2. Coordinate, allocate, track and organise studio time on internal and external projects
3. Author and administer complex project plans including budgets and schedules
4. Support and administer company accounts with a good understanding of annual tax returns and bookkeeping
5. Maintain our electronic filing system, ensuring records, processes and software are up to date, efficient and in good working order
6. Project manage smaller events and associated budgets to deliver within budget
7. Prioritise sustainable and socially responsible options for the studio
8. Manage Social Media accounts and maintain websites and platforms associated with the company
9. Premises management (home office) – main point of contact, liaising with cleaning, maintenance staff and subcontractors
10. Attend meetings both in person and via Zoom and taking minutes
11. Administer company banking and accounts including the reconciliation of transactions and expenses using accountancy Xero software
12. Paying supplier/ freelancer invoices
13. Manage company PAYE and pension
14. Maintain studio labour logs
15. Manage logins, passwords, and access for all online platforms
16. Manage office accounts and policies including car insurance, utilities, phone & broadband and pension
17. Liaise with DJ agent and record label manager and coordinate non-agency bookings.
18. Liaise with accountants and bookkeeper
1st stage interviews will be held on Zoom on the 23rd of August 2022.
2nd stage interviews will be held in person on the 2nd of September 2022.
3rd stage interviews will be held in person on the 5th of September 2022.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW:
To apply, please send us a CV and a supporting statement of up to 1500 words. The supporting statement should set out how you meet the criteria of this position. Please explicitly address the criteria set out in the job description and give examples.
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to undertake several additional tasks prior to or during interviews including software proficiency test and a creative writing task.
Gideon Berger Studio will particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian or Ethnically Diverse and D/deaf and disabled candidates in an effort to address under-representation in the cultural sector.
>>> Click on Apply Now to be taken to the application page.