In this role you will support the Sony Music UK & International Insight team deliver creative and compelling culturally relevant insight to internal teams such as UK label marketing teams, 4th Floor Creative, and International marketing teams. This insight will support the positioning, planning, and creative decision making on marketing campaigns for Sony artists.
You will be a champion for qualitative methodologies, and the development of audience-centric campaign planning approaches, and using insight to provide creative and strategic inspiration through our expertise in understanding popular culture
The Insight team is part of the Sony Music UK Audience Development function (alongside Analytics and CRM), sitting within a central UK creative department, 4th Floor Creative, which supports all UK labels.
Our team focuses primarily on the UK but also leads on the development and sharing of Insight at an International level, particularly supporting markets other than the UK and US which do not have their own insight functions.
- Support on the design and delivery of qualitative research projects on consumer behaviour and the provision of approaches and frameworks to support and improve the artist planning process within Sony Music UK & International.
- Be a passionate advocate and champion of the use of qualitative methodologies, both face to face (focus groups, IDIs, audience/customer closeness) and digital (communities, digital ethnography, video diaries, etc.)
- Support UK labels by helping the Insight team deliver rich artist-centric insight, with a qualitative lean
- Support UK labels & International markets by leading initiatives focused on evolving our Artist positioning processes (developing frameworks and processes that help support campaign planning and strategy)
- Support in the delivery of insight work into music audience behaviour to creative UK & International stakeholders in innovative and engaging ways
- Support multi-territory strategic work, particularly where qualitative methodologies are involved
- Support and eventually lead on the export of UK methodologies and processes around qualitative research & the strategic planning process to International markets.
- Take responsibility for ensuring follow-up on designated projects (i.e. ensuring creative ideas and strategies generated from both strategic and artist projects are implemented by 4th Floor Creative and/or label teams)
- Eventually, take full day-to-day responsibility for leading the UK Insight team’s Audience Closeness programme, designed to increase regular opportunities for UK labels to interact with and learn from their audiences.
- Lead internal brainstorms / workshops with creative / inspiring approaches
- Cultivate an awareness of other approaches beyond qualitative research that are used by the Insight and other Audience Development teams, and learn when each is best deployed.
- Keep up to date with trends in Insight / Audience Research (particularly qualitative methodologies), Planning and Strategy, and share new developments with the wider team.
- Keep up to date with trends in culture, technology and marketing best practice. Actively highlight developments that are relevant to 4th Floor Creative and the business in general.
- Play a role in the development of the Insight team as thought-leaders, both internally and externally.
- You will be a passionate advocate for qualitative research and its use in the planning process
- You will have a good understanding of the UK music market and have a genuine interest in music, culture and trends
- You will be curious, insightful, obsessive appreciation and love for culture in all its forms (“high” and “low”) – most especially music!
- You will have the capacity to handle multiple requests and prioritise workload accordingly
- You will be a creative thinker - able to translate ideas and communicate them effectively across a broad stakeholder group
- You will you will need to be agile, pragmatic and adaptable
- You will be curious-minded and driven to broaden skills and knowledge.
- You will be enthusiastic, energetic and able to inspire (especially in context of leading workshops / brainstorms / qual sessions)
- You will have strong interpersonal & presentation skills
- You will already have direct experience of both face to face and digital qualitative research (running sessions, writing discussion guides, and analysing findings)
- You will have an active interest in role of research / insight in supporting campaign planning and strategy
- You will have good basic numeracy (in order to be able to understand work produced by more quant-focused team members)
- You will have previous experience delivering consumer research / insight, with a strong and clear focus on qualitative methods
As an active part of a culturally and socially diverse society, Sony Music’s aim is that our workforce is diverse and inclusive. Sony Music is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
We employ, retain, promote and otherwise treat all employees and job applicants according to their merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We apply this policy without regard to any individual’s sex, race, religion, origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition or disability.
>>> Click on Apply Now to be taken to the application page.