Do you want to book artists and musicians at Elsewhere and beyond? Talent Buyers plan and oversee the programming of a wide range of culturally diverse music, and can have a profound and fundamental impact on shaping the musical landscape. This is a challenging and demanding role; but if you've dreamed of working with musicians and curating nightlife in NYC, there's nothing else like it.
The candidate will serve as a primary contact for the music industry and other Elsewhere staff, acting as a liaison for the above groups to successfully meet all required needs. In addition, the candidate will support Head Talent Buyer Rami Haykal in booking and executed his events. The candidate will play a key role in continuing to develop Elsewhere.
Details of the role include but are not limited to the below:
- Support local, young and emerging artists and maintain a balanced diversity of genre representation at Elsewhere; work with Programming Department to book diverse and emerging artists onto bills at all of Elsewhere’s rooms; consistently listen to submissions and respond to emerging acts appropriately within reasonable time frames, as well as research/read publications in regards to upcoming artists.
- Responsible for all aspects of assigned booking for Elsewhere, as well as the occasional larger capacity event or pop-up. Negotiate all contractual agreements between PopGun and Agent/Artists/Artist Management.
- Assist with building and implementing budgets for the venue. Candidate must possess the ability to interpret and analyze event budgets, pro forma’s (ticket sales estimations, production costs budgets, advertising requirements, hospitality and technical riders to name a few)
- Oversee all accounting for shows to include but not limited to: production, promotion, and box office.
- Intimate knowledge of complex calendar scheduling, show pro forma analysis and ability to thoroughly understand artist/agent requirements and delegate to appropriate team/production and marketing in order to ensure a successful night.
- Conduct/participate in weekly meetings to communicate progress and problems.
- Track daily ticket counts and report to management.
- Work closely with marketing, art director, production, box office and management.
- Manage freelancers and interns: hire, train, manage and conduct periodic evaluations of freelance show staff and booking intern.
- Assist Rami Haykal in all elements of his booking: email communications, contract negotiations, calendar management, communication with marketing and operations teams, communication with venue staff, etc.
- This position will also require some travel to festivals,larger events, conferences and other local parties.
- The position is demanding and could require attention at all hours, including nights and weekends, including but not limited to: attendance at shows and events at Elsewhere and other venues; networking with agents, artists, and other counterparties; email communication and coordination, etc.
- Driven with an entrepreneurial spirit, this candidate should ideally possess strong relationships with agents, musicians and the music industry and use this knowledge to make contacts and follow up for bookings; however, prior experience can vary.
- Discerning and intimate knowledge of independent and underground lapsing into mainstream acts. This position requires a vast knowledge of upcoming and mid level acts both nationally and internationally predominantly in the electronic world, but not exclusively.
- Must be resourceful, innovative and forward thinking. Must be a team player with a can-do positive attitude, share a passion for music, the arts and entertainment while maintaining a superior level of service to the venue management, corporate partners, artists, industry people and fans a like! This position is an ambassador for our venue.
- Experience planning and coordinating events to various age groups
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate well with a broad range of individuals including young people, professional musicians, City Officials, and partner organization contacts
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and web tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong mathematical abilities and a penchant for strategy / games
- Office hours + flexible schedule including evenings and weekends